An applicant applying to register to vote must prove.
- That he/she is a citizen of The Bahamas
- Must be 18 years or older, not subject to any legal incapacity.
- That he/she has resided in a particular constituency for at least three (3) months
- Before registering any applicant, it is the duty of the Revising Officer to satisfy himself/herself that the document(s) being presented, actually belongs to the applicant.
Documentary Proof of Bahamian Citizenship
- A Bahamian Passport:- The principle document that should be presented as proof of Citizenship, OR
- The Old Voters Card:- An applicant who presents and old voter’s card is requested to also produce a valid Bahamian Birth Certificate as proof of citizenship, OR
- The Bahamian Citizenship Certificate or Registration of Naturalization an applicant must also present his/her Birth Certificate.
- The Bahamian Birth Certificate: Must be presented with a government ID, along with his/her mother’s Bahamian Passport or Voters Card, or mothers Bahamian
Birth Certificate and government-issued ID.
- Before registering an applicant presenting a Bahamian Birth Certificate, the Revising Officer must ascertain that the document(s) belongs to that applicant and he/she has the relevant supporting documents.
- An applicant born in The Bahamas after Independence must produce his/her mother’s Bahamian Passport and/or Birth Certificate with gov. issued ID.
- The Revising Officer may require an applicant to produce documents if he/she is not satisfied with the applicant’s eligibility to register.
The documents listed below are not proof of Bahamian Citizenship and may only be used as supporting documents:
- A registered Affidavit
- Drivers’ License
- Baptismal Certificate
- National Insurance Card.